For some, speed dating may seem to be a thing of the past, but with scepticism over online safety at an all-time high, paired with the craving for some much-needed social autonomy and freedom following the widespread isolation during the pandemic, it’s making a comeback. Whilst online dating popularity has surged during the pandemic and undoubtedly has many pros for lots of people for differing reasons, there are equally as many cons and so we’ve compiled a list of our top 5 reasons why we think speed dating not only has a place in today’s dating scene but is better than online dating.
Firstly though, for those of us who maybe aren’t familiar with what speed dating is or what it entails, we take a look at what can be expected during a night of speed dating with Northern Irelands brand new speed dating service, Ratemydateni. At their popular dating events, held in various venues across Belfast, you are given 4 minutes to speak with a person, after which either you or the other person will change seats and speak to somebody else. If you feel a connection with the other person or would like the possibility of seeing them again, you indicate this by ticking them in the RateMyDate cards provided on the night. If they also decide the same and want to see you again, it’s a match. After the event has ended, you will be provided with your matches via email and from there you can then decide whether to take things any further or not.
Here are five reasons why speed dating can be considered a better option for online dating
1. Fun and safe environment – You can enjoy a great night out, but with a far greater chance of finding love than you would have on a normal night out. Zoom through numerous dates in a safe and friendly environment with potential matches and whilst you have an extremely high chance of finding a match, even if you don’t, you get to spend a fun night meeting new and interesting people.
2. Speed is of the essence – With speed dating, you’ll get to enjoy quick, four-minute conversations with potential matches that you might otherwise never meet. If you hit it off, you will receive each other’s contact info. If not, then not to worry as its merely a blink of an eye until you’re onto the next potential match.
3. Straight to the point – With a four-minute speed date, you won’t be forced to suffer awkward pauses or stumble through conversation topics. That “Go, go, go!” mentality tends to bring out the best in singles, and you can really get to the essence of what you’re looking for. If someone’s not for you, it’s all good – you’re four minutes or less from the next guy or girl who might tick all the boxes. The fast pace means you don’t have to worry about being the rejecter or the rejected either because you’re both onto the next one in a flash with everyone’s blushes spared.
4. No smoke and mirrors – Sometimes with online dating, the pictures on show of the other person can sometimes be a little flattering, or at worst, a complete misrepresentation of their actual true-life appearance. Whilst looks aren’t everything, there has to be some sort of physical attraction for things to really progress, and with no airbrushed appearance-altering filters, you get a genuine unfiltered real-life impression of their true appearance, making it easier to decide if you feel an attraction or not.
5. There’s no substitute for face-to-face interactions – In the modern age of tech that we now live, where things are only ever a touch of a button or swipe of a screen away, it’s too easy for people to unwittingly isolate themselves and often forget how vital face to face socialisation really is. A deep realisation of this is now more prevalent than ever following the last two years of unprecedented restrictions on society, with people determined to make the most of their freedom to socialise once more. There certainly is a place for online dating in the fast-paced world we live in now, but there really is no substitute for the face-to-face connections we build when in the company of others. Enjoying speaking to somebody online and enjoying people’s company in person are often two very different things. Subtle characteristics, mannerisms etc that can be easily detected in person and also can tell you a lot about the person, can often go unnoticed behind a screen.
There’s no exact science to the world of dating, what works for one person will not always work for the next, so it’s very much a case of trying all the options out there and seeing what works best for you personally. With that being said, if you fancy trying something different from the norm and pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone, get in touch with the team at www.ratemydateni.com and give speed dating a try, it might just be the best decision you ever make.
Article courtesy of Northernirelandcraic